Even if you own a second home on the North Oregon Coast, its best if you put off vacationing to that too.
Local officials are encouraging second home owners to remain in their primary residence due to COVID-19 concerns.
Manzanita Mayor Mike Scott said this is a change in messaging. Previously, local officials had said people could inhibit their second homes as property owners.
This additional instruction comes after the City of Manzanita ordered that all visitors vacate Manzanita within 24 hours on March 22.
“We’re not going to go out and issue a bunch of Class C Misdemeanor tickets,” Mayor Scott said. “We’re going to educate people first.”
However, if violations continue, the City of Manzanita will enforce the law. Penalties for a Class C Misdemeanor include 30 days in jail and roughly a $1,200 fine.
“Now, we can defend our own borders here. If we follow all these recommendations, we can knock this virus out,” Mayor Scott said. “We should not be driving over to Portland. We should not be driving up to Costco. We should not be driving to Tillamook to go to Fred Meyer. We need to stay close to home.”
Mayor Scott reassured locals that Manzanita's own grocers are still open and receiving supplies; there’s no need for hoarding.
“I’m on an 8 am conference call every morning including Saturdays and Sundays with County Commissioners, State Senator Betsy Johnson, the department heads of the County including the Sherriff and the Public Health Department, and all the mayors in Tillamook County,” Mayor Scott said. “The only weapon we have in this fight against this virus is isolation and distancing. The fastest way to get back to normal is if we hit this hard. It’s just us [living in the community] now, follow all these recommendations…we’re going to get through this together.”