Cannon Beach has been named “One of the Most Beautiful Places in the World” by National Geographic and “One of the 100 Best Art Towns in America.”
So, it’s not a surprise that this spectacular natural beauty has beckoned artists from around the world to capture it “en plein air” or “in the open air.”
To celebrate this challenging artistic style, the Cannon Beach Gallery Group is presenting their 8th Annual Plein Air & More ArtsFestival. Scheduled for June 24-26, the event will feature more than 30 artists represented by Cannon Beach’s art galleries.
Many will be painting. But, as you wanderthrough town and along the beach you’ll also find sculptors working in stone, or creating the clay forms that will eventually be cast in bronze, jewelers, ceramic artists (complete with a kiln on the beach) basket weavers and metal workers.
The artists can be found near their representing galleries or in one of five locations: Whale Park, the courtyard between Spruce and Hemlock Streets, the Coaster Theatre Courtyard, Washington St. at Ocean andHarrison Street at Ocean. They will also all come together for an “Artists’ Swarm” from 2-4 p.m. on Saturday in the Coaster Theatre Courtyard. This will be a great opportunity for everyone to see them all at work. Leading up to this event will be a 2-hour courtyard concert by the Boca Marimba Band, sponsored by the new Pelican Pub and Brewery and Hallmark Inns.
Also, new this year is a Creative Play Space for children, encouraging them to explore their own budding talents. It will be located in the US Bank Parking lot.
And back by popular demand is the Saturday evening raku firing on the beach at Whale Park with Dave and Boni Deal. This year it will also include s’mores and live music.
Brochures will be available at all Cannon Beach Gallery Group locations and the Chamber of Commerce, and will be distributed during the day by Portland stilt walker Melissa Rae. Visitors are encouraged to ask questions of the artists while they work.
Galleries and their participating artists include:
- Archimedes Gallery: Josh Keyes, Eva Funderburgh
- Bronze Coast Gallery: Pamela Claflin, Dan Chen, Donnie Wanner
- Cannon Beach Gallery: Joanne Radmilovich Kollman, Jef Gunn, Joan
Stuart Ross, Michael Southern
- DragonFire Gallery: Joanne Shellan, Anton Pavlenko
- Haystack Gallery: Sally O’Neill, Janis Ellison, Dave Bartholet, Albert Van
Troba, Christine Joy
- Icefire Gallery: Jim Kingwell, Suzanne Kindland, Michelle Kaptur
- Jeffrey Hull Gallery: Jeffrey Hull
- Northwest By Northwest Gallery: Jeff White, Ivan McLean,
Kara Krieger-McGhee, Hazel Schlesinger
- Primary Elements Gallery: Mickie Skinner, Marianne Post, Mike Rangner,
Sharon Abbott-Furze, Josh Henrie
- Jewelry By Sharon Amber: Victoria Brooks
- White Bird Gallery: Brooke Borcherding, Gretha Lindwood, Dave and
Boni Deal, Pamela Wachtler-Fermanis, Debra Carnes
For more information about artists, please contact the individual galleries, listed on the website. cbgallerygroup.com
A complete schedule of all events and high res images are also available on the website.