Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD) joins America’s State Parks in sponsoring First Day Hikes in 28 Oregon State Parks on New Year’s Day. Park rangers or volunteers will lead most of the hikes. Day-use parking fees are waived for all visitors at participating parks Jan. 1 only.
News Release from Oregon Parks and Recreation Dept.
First Day Hikes help families enjoy state parks close to their homes and encourage a healthy lifestyle. The purpose of America’s State Parks is to promote and advance the state park systems of America, for the contribution they make to the nation’s environment, heritage, health and economy.
Visit the Oregon State Parks website for directions to each park: www.oregonstateparks.org. OPRD advises visitors to plan for inclement weather, and to remember the binoculars for wildlife viewing.
– L.L. “Stub” Stewart Memorial State Park, 9 a.m. at the Hilltop Day-use Area.
– Milo McIver State Park, 10 a.m. at the Riverbend lower boat launch parking lot.
– Tryon Creek State Natural Area, 9 a.m. at the Nature Center.
– Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail, 10 a.m. at the Tooth Rock Trailhead
– Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail, 1 p.m. at the Hatfield East Trailhead
– Champoeg State Heritage Area, hikes (2) at 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Meet at the Visitor Center.
– Elijah Bristow State Park, noon horse ride at the equestrian parking area. Bring your own horse.
– Fort Yamhill State Heritage Area, 10 a.m. at the trailhead kiosk.
– Luckiamute Landing State Natural Area, 10 a.m. at the North Luckiamute Trailhead if conditions allow. Alternate meeting site at the South Luckiamute Trailhead.
– North Santiam State Park, 11:30 a.m. at the picnic shelter.
– Silver Falls State Park. 10 a.m. at the South Falls Lodge porch.
– Willamette Mission State Park, hikes (2) at 10 a.m. and noon. Meet at the Wheatland Ferry bicycle trailhead parking lot.
– OC&E Woods Line State Trail, 10 a.m. at the Switchbacks Trailhead
– TouVelle State Recreation Site, 11 a.m. at the parking lot next to Area F.
– Valley of the Rogue State Park, 11 a.m. at the park program area.
– Beverly Beach State Park, 10 a.m. in the day-use area
– Bullards Beach State Park, 10 a.m. near the entrance to B Loop.
– Cape Lookout State Park, Noon in the Cape Lookout Trail parking lot.
– Fort Stevens State Park, 10 a.m. in the North Coffenbury Lake parking lot.
– Harris Beach State Park, 10 a.m. in the extra vehicle parking lot.
– Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park, 10 a.m. at the group campground parking lot off Canary Road.
– Taft Beach in Lincoln City, 10 a.m. at the #49 Beach Access, 825, SW 51st Street
– Nehalem Bay State Park, 10 a.m. in the parking lot behind the registration booth.
– South Beach State Park, 10 a.m. at the South Jetty Trailhead.
– William M. Tugman State Park, 10 a.m. in the day-use parking lot by the boat ramp.
– Cottonwood Canyon State Park, 11 a.m. at the Lone Tree Campground shade shelter
– Hat Rock State Park, 11 a.m. at the boat launch.
– Smith Rock State Park, 10 a.m. at the Welcome Center.